NJY Camps is the largest Jewish camp complex in the world, serving more than 7400 participants in our overnight camps, family camps, visiting groups and year round senior adult programs. Our camping program serves a total of 5500 youth annually. On our Milford campus, Camp Nah-Jee-Wah serves boys and girls from grades 1 through 6; Cedar Lake Camp, grades 7 through 9; and Teen Camp, grades 10 through 11. Round Lake Camp is a special needs inclusion program serving children and adolescents with mild autism, ADHD, learning disabilities and social skill disorders. Our Lake Como campus hosts Camp Nesher, a co-ed camp for Orthodox boys and girls in grades 3 through 10, Camp Shoshanim which serves Orthodox girls in grades 3 through 11 and the Kislak Adult Center.
The New Jersey Federation of Young Men’s Hebrew Associations and Young Women’s Hebrew Associations (originally named the Felix Fuld Camps, known later as the New Jersey “Y” Camps, and today as NJY Camps) was founded in 1920 as a residential summer camp for Jewish boys on a leased site at Bear Mountain Park. Later, a nearby camp for girls was added at another leased site. Through the 1920’s, the demand for service outpaced accommodations, and in 1933 the NJY Camps purchased a permanent site in Milford, Pennsylvania, which now comprises 1250 acres of land and three lakes. In 1968, another 1130 acres, and two lakes, were purchased in Lake Como, Pennsylvania.
NJY Camps is part of the Jewish Community Center movement, a tradition grounded in Jewish communal service and social group work practice. In addition to sports and the arts, the Camps also maintain a vibrant Jewish atmosphere. All facilities prepare meals under Jewish dietary laws, and hold Sabbath services Friday nights and Saturday mornings. Jewish cultural activities are prominent in camp programming.
A full time year round staff maintains winter offices in Fairfield, New Jersey. Tuition provides for the full operating costs of the NJY Camps. More than $2.6 million is distributed in scholarships each year.
The NJY Camps is governed by a Board of Directors, which includes JCC representatives, regional leaders, former campers and other friends. Our camps are accredited by the American Camping Association, and we are an affiliate of the Foundation for Jewish Camp.